.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Selby Shotokan Karate Club span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Chasing 5 Rabbits?

A few years ago I was training hard for my Jiu Jitsu Shodan and I was also training in Karate. My Karate was suffering because I was focused on my up and coming examination.

Gullen Shihan (my Karate Sensei) said to me one day "You will never get anywhere chasing two Rabbits". For the last few years I have only trained in Karate but have not lost my interest in other martial arts.

In October I will be chasing 5 Rabbits for a week of intensive training by some very respected instructors:

  • Karate - Wayne Otto Sensei
  • Taekwondo - Wayne Brown Sensei
  • Weapons Kata - Tre Worsley Sensei & Adrian Rowe Sensei
  • Aikido - Gwynne Jones Sensei
  • Jiu Jitsu - Steve Barnett Sensei

I look forward to a wider understanding of the martial arts, more details to follow post course.

2 Comments:

  • What your sensei told you is true.

    If you have not understand the fundamental concepts of karate-do, it will be useless to chase 5 rabbits.

    In karate alone, there is a very wide areas to study especially the concept ans pholosophy underlying all the different styles and katas.

    I did study Kung Fu a little bit only to help me understand certain similar concept and philosophy in some identical techniques in kata.

    Karate has included Aikido and Jujitsu. And Tae-kwon-do was evolved from its predecessor, karate!

    Why not move upstream? Study both karate and some kungfu related to karate, such as, white crane, xingyi and etc.

    By Blogger Adrian Hoe, at 5:05 AM  

  • That sounds like a great week! Can't wait to hear what you learn.

    Thanks for the link. I'll be adding you to my karate bloggers list as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home