SSKC 2008 review
- Gradings - Sensei Kato came to York in Feb, June and October, Sensei Keith came to Barlby in December to grade some Yorkshire based Karateka that were not available to attend in October - 57 passes and Rebecca graded to Shodan at the Hombu dojo at Whitchurch in April.
- Black and Brown belt courses - We attended all four Whitchurch courses and also managed to send six members to attend a JKS session in Nottingham.
- Karate courses - Members attended courses in the UK with Sensei Dave Hooper JKA and Sensei Scott Langley JKS, we also attended the courses in Ireland with Sensei Kato and Toomey and Italy with Sensei Kato and Okazaki.
- Competitions - We had a very successful club competition in May with sections for U9, U12 and U17. Rebecca went to the Irish Open (on her own!) and came back with a bronze and a silver. At the Europeans championships we gained 1 silver and 4 bronze medals and at the JKS National Open we gained 2 gold, 1 silver and 7 bronze medals.
- Charity - We have supported Facing Africa throughout the year and have raised approx £1300 enough for the charity to carry out 2 extensive facial operations.
- Blog - The blog has evolved dramatically in the last couple of months to a more website based appearance. It is actually 15 blogs all linked together so it will load quickly and you can choose what snippet of information you want to look at. It is also easy to navigate using the buttons in the sidebar. A kata and Welfare section has just been added, something that would have been impossible with the old set up. We have just increased the number of people available to contribute to the blog to 7 and Since Feb 08 over 9500 have logged into our blog from 121 different countries.
What have we to look forward to in 2009?
- Gradings - Get some training in for the 22nd Feb 09 it will soon be here.
- Competitions - Sensei Andy and I would like to increase the opportunities for our members in 2009 and we are busy behind the scenes, if you are interested please let Andy know.
- Membership - We would like to increase our membership by 10 to 15 members, we plan to run a beginners course at the end of February 2009.
- Schools - We have been asked to get involved with the local authority and run a few sessions in schools. If you think you can help please let me know.
Not bad for a small town in the middle of nowhere is it?
We also welcome your ideas for 2009, lets make 2009 better than ever.Click on the yellow button below to return to the "HOME" page