.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Selby Shotokan Karate Club span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Club Members - Paul Brant - 2nd Kyu



Paul Brant - 2nd Kyu

Paul started his martial arts training in Hampshire under the direction of Sensei Andy Eaves. The Style was Te-At-Su which is was an open style, a mix of Karate, un-armed combat and Jiu Jitsu. He had spent three years watching his children train before he was persuaded to get off the bench and have a go.

In 1999 Paul moved with his work to North Yorkshire and continued his martial arts training with Shihan James Burns , Chief Instructor of the Association of Samurai Bu-Jitsu Clubs, where he studied Jiu-Jitsu, attaining his Shodan in 2003.

Paul has trained under the direction of Sensei Ash since 1999. The photo above shows Paul performing Tekki Shodan for his 3rd Kyu grading in July 2004. Paul also attends both York and Haxby Shotokan Clubs and would like to thank Shihan Gullen and Sensei's Gude and Shaw for their patience. Osu!

Paul competed in the "Veterans' Kumite" at the IJKA Championships in Cyprus in 2004 where he was very surprised to come away with a medal for joint third place.

2 Comments:

  • I don't really like the Shotokan type of Karate. In fact, I don't like Karate at all...it's driven too much by Katas. Wing Chung Kung Fu is the greatest martial art and this is the one I'm proficient in, as well as another weaponry one. No wonder they call me Hand. Anywayz, nice blog, I like the title...the bit where it goes "Selby". Feel free to visit me sometime (on my blog I mean). Peace. Hand.

    By Blogger Jazz, at 3:46 PM  

  • Thanks for looking at the blog. I'll take a look at yours shortly.
    I have trained in a few different martial arts. All I know is that "good" Shotokan Karate is good for me. We are part of a traditional style club with links back to Japan. The standard is high and that is what is important to me. If you train in Wing Chung or any other martial art, just train as hard as your physical limitations allow, sometimes beyond what you percieve as your mental limitations. Every art and style will have merits and limitations. I would accept your comment that Shotokan or even Karate will not be everbodys personal taste. Thats good news, we wouldn't all want to be the same would we. Keep training hard and be commited to your style. Osu!

    By Blogger Selby Karateka, at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home