.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Selby Shotokan Karate Club span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

SSKC on tour - Vienna - Austria

Kelvin writes........

This summer I decided to attend a 3 day international surgical conference which was this year based in Vienna(what a hardship!) I had some important preparation to do, however, before attending. I always try to get some form of recreation in when I go away, often packing gym/running gear in the vain hope of fulfilling this lofty goal. Then a revelation hit me….Karate.Could I manage to get a training session in whilst in Austria.



I managed to contact 2 clubs who replied, both were keen to have me training but only one was training on nights I would be there. This was Karate Union Wien (JKA): web address www.karate-kurse.at. So I packed my gi, put it in a rucksack & after the day’s machinations in a very historic medical lecture theatre took myself off, directions in hand to their dojo. Shunning an evening of food & wine with my surgical colleagues. It was quite a walk but I had been given good directions by Marcus. (1st Kyu)

The dojo was compact & bijou, there were 2 rooms in which 3 classes were run, beginners, coloured belts &, black & brown belts. The training was similar to ours, as was the mix of karateka, with kihon, kumite & kata. Great use was made of limited space. I was invited to be with the black & browns, starting with kihon then concentrating on kata as the gradings were approaching. From memory; we went through, Bassai dai, kanku dai, empi, jion & hangetsu. Finishing with some light sparring rotations.

I was treated extremely courteously & made to feel very welcome. The instruction I received was fantastic. As a bonus the session was run in English. Like us they have a sister club…In Salzburg! 4 hours by car.Their grading is in Munich. So no excuses for us! After this I was taken to a non tourist Viennese bar to sample the local wares before walking back through a beautiful city on a warm summer’s night.I must thank those who made my visit special, namely, Andreas Jericha (2nd Dan) and Franz Peischl (3rd Dan), Franz Winter, Stefan Quadlbauer, Michael Fangor & last but not least Marcus Poglitsch with whom I corresponded.



Karate whilst on tour? Most definitely!

Many thanks Kelvin for a very interesting review, more of the same from Selby Karateka please and remember don't go anywhere without your gi... (and send me the photos and write up to post), Osu!

Click on the yellow buttons below to return to the "HOME" or "Karate Union Wien " .


Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home